The City of Morro Bay Building Division is implementing the following revised Permit Submittal and Issuance Procedures to protect the health and safety of the public and City employees:
Over the Counter Permits:
- Applicant emails application to Permit Technician (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Building staff will process the permit and paperwork and notify applicant of fee amount due.
- Fee payment should be coordinated with the Permit Technician. Payment can be via credit card over the phone or by check by sliding the check under the Community Development (CDD) door.
- Contractor/owner signature on back of permit will not be required prior to issuance.
- City Staff will notify applicant of permit availability and approved permit and associated documents will be bundled and labeled with the site address and contractor/owner name then placed at City Hall (595 Harbor Street) for pick up (box will be labeled "Approved Permits for Pick Up").
New Submittals and Resubmittals:
- Applicant to coordinate application drop off date and time with Building Division via email to email@example.com or phone (805) 772-6267.
- Submittal will be processed, and applicant will be notified of plan check fees.
- Fee collection will be via credit card over the phone or a check can be slid under CDD door.
- Applicants will be routed to applicable departments (no change in process).
- Email comments will be provided by commenting departments (no change in process).
- Applicant to coordinate resubmittal package with Permit Technician.
- Once permit package is ready for issuance the applicant will be notified and the final fee amount will be provided.
- Collect fee (same process as noted above for Over the Counter Permits).
- Approved plans/documents will be bundled and labeled with the site address and contractor/owner name then contact will be made to coordinate for a contact-less pick up or permit package can be mailed upon request by applicant.
- Permit signature will be required prior to final inspection.
Revised Building Division Based Inspections:
- Inspections requests called in via inspection request line as normal: (805) 772-6204.
- Only AM inspections will be performed.
- For interior and exterior inspections:
- All occupants/contractors/workers shall vacate the area where the inspection is taking place prior tot he inspector entering the work area.
- All occupants/contractors/workers shall maintain 10-feet of separation between themselves and the inspector at all times the inspector is on site.
- Video or photograph verifications in lieu of physical inspections will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the Building Officials.
What We Do
We provide consultation, plan review, and inspection in conformance with the Municipal Code and State Building Codes as they relate to residential, commercial, and industrial projects.
The mission of the Building Division is to oversee construction projects for the purpose of protecting the safety of Morro Bay's citizens and facilitating sustainable development objectives.
Services & Links
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms and Applications (PDF)
- Green Building Incentive Program
- Construction Debris Recycling Program
- Toilet Retrofit Program (PDF)
- Washing Machine Rebate Program (PDF)
- Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (PDF)
- Wood Burning Device Change Out - Community Clean Air Incentives
- Information for Designers
- Standard Construction Details
- Building & Planning Fees (PDF)
- Guidelines for Small Scale PV Systems (PDF)