New Applications and Resubmittals:
- New applications can be received anytime during open counter hours. For submittals during closed counter hours, Applicant should coordinate application drop off date and time with Planning Division staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or ph: (805) 772-6264.
- Counter questions for zoning inquiries or general planning questions are welcome anytime during counter hours Monday through Thursdays from 8am - noon. For inquiries outside of these hours, staff is available via phone or email. Ph: (805) 772-6261
Our goal is to provide the community with direction and guidance to achieve the goals and objectives set forth in the General Plan and Local Coastal Plan.
Our objective is to create and facilitate an effective partnership with the residents and businesses in the community by providing an open and transparent planning process with an emphasis on citizen involvement and participation that results in a fair, objective, predictable, and accountable planning process.
A guiding principle is that all new and remodeled development fit in to the small town scale of the community while preserving and strengthening the unique small coastal town image and character of Morro Bay. A continuing emphasis will be to promote and encourage sustainable development practices involving all aspects of green building techniques and materials, low impact development, and energy efficient development.
Services & Links
- Planning Applications - Updated
- Planning Hot Topics
- Planning Fees (Master Fee Schedule FY2021-22 effective 7/12/21)
- Zoning Ordinance - Title 17 of Morro Bay Municipal Code
- Zoning Map (certified 1997 - current)
- 2021 General Plan (Plan Morro Bay) - adopted 5/25/2021 - New
- 2021 Land Use Map
- 2020-2028 Housing Element - New
- ADU Handout - Update to California State Law for Accessory Dwelling Units eff. 1/1/2020
- Planning Commission
- Residential Design Guidelines, adopted by City Council July 2015
- Current Planning Projects
- Planning Project Appeal Form
- Environmental Review Documents (CEQA)
- Policy for Small Wireless Facilities (City Council Resolution 21-19)
- Urgency Ordinance 620 for Small Wireless Facilities adopted March 26, 2019
- Commercial Medical Cannabis Operation Application
- Commercial Cannabis Renewal Application
- Downtown Waterfront Strategic Plan (DWSP)
- Other Plans and Studies
- Subdivision Ordinance
- Green Building
- Sea Shell Estates CC&Rs and Design Manual
- Cloisters Design Guidelines 1997
- Major Vegetation Guidelines for Removal, Replacement, and Protection