Business Tax Certificates
Tax Certificate Requirements
Thank you for doing business in Morro Bay!
The City of Morro Bay requires all organizations operating within the City limits to have a current business tax certificate (commonly referred to as a business license).
Funds collected from this certificate help support crucial City functions in order to better serve businesses, like paying for police and fire protection, business support and economic development initiatives, fixing streets, and more.
Business tax certificates apply to businesses operating as a general or sub-contractor (with offices located both inside and outside of the City), as a home occupation, from a commercial or office space, or as businesses conducting temporary activities within the City limits.
Applications for new business licenses and renewals of current business licenses can be processed online, by email, or by U.S. mail.
- Online: Visit morrobay.hdlgov.com to complete and submit an electronic application, request a license renewal, and pay the fee
- OR, scan and email your completed form to MorroBay@HdLGov.com
- OR, mail completed form to:
Business Support Center
8839 N. Cedar Ave #212
Fresno, CA 93720
For Customer Support, call (805) 339-2649
Short-Term Vacation RentalsCurrently, the City is working hard on implementing a new City Ordinance relating to Short-Term Vacation Rentals. The goal of this ordinance is to balance the tourism industry with the desires to keep our community feeling like home. Last month, Coastal Commission approved the new City Ordinance, and Community Development is hard at work on putting it into effect. If you are interested in maintaining a vacation-rental in the City of Morro Bay, please fill out the Vacation Rental Waitlist Application. If you are on the list, when we have all the details ironed out, we will send you further information and a more in-depth application to get you a formal license.
If you currently operate a vacation rental in the city, you will be grandfathered-in under the new ordinance, just continue to pay for your business license.
If you have further questions on the matter, please don't hesitate to call!
Business License Applications, Information & Links:
- Business License Update
- Business License Tax Rate Schedule
- Business License Information
- Business License Name Change
- Basic Business License Application
- Home Occupation Business Application
- Low Revenue Certificate Application
- Out of Town Business Application
- Out of Town Contractor Application
- Subcontractor License Verification Form
- Out of Town Broker/Real Estate Application
- Special Event Vendor Application - (Art in the Park, Farmer's Markets, etc.)